The age-old sentiment ‘if you want something done, do it yourself’ rings true to local bedroom DJ turned headliner Darren J.
“I was sick of buying compilation albums that only had a few tunes I liked. So I bought some old CD players and crappy mixer and taught myself to do it.”
With the CDJs upgraded and mixer traded in, he tentatively began his steady climb to the top, which would see him support the likes of Tiesto, Armin Van Buuren, Darren Emmerson, Anthony Pappa and more.
Never with the ambition of mixing live, it took one of his pushy mates badgering him to enter Habitat’s 2008 DJ Competition to get the ball rollin’. Needless to say he ended coming home with the crown and the rest is history.
Over the years he’s learned some helpful hints for punters and DJs to coexist harmoniously.
- Don’t request David Guetta
- If DJ doesn’t play David Guetta don’t enter DJ booth and look through CD wallet
- If DJ still doesn’t play David Guetta don’t feel it your duty to take the headphones and try out the EQs
Always with his eyes on the prize, Darren J hopes to include his own productions in one of his renowned mixes soon!
“I would love to be able to play a track that I had written to a crowd and see them enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making. That would be unreal!”
Now for the creditionals…
- Winner of Habitat DJ Competition 2008 @ Bar Open
- Voted ‘Perth’s Best New Talent’ @ 2008 Perth Dance Music Awards
- Inthemix Top 5 WA DJ 2009
- Voted ‘Perth’s Best Progressive DJ’ @ 2009 Perth Dance Music Awards
- Voted “Perth’s Best Techno DJ’ @ 2009 Perth Dance Music Awards